Thursday, July 24, 2008

Psalm 4

"O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah."
By the way, all of these pieces that I am doing are using the King James version of the Bible. Somehow I just thought it was right to use the King James, it seemed to fit better with the whole scheme of what I was getting at.
Wow, where do I begin with this Psalm? There were so many ways I could go, but my mind got stuck on the passage above more than any other, so I went with my gut and did the following image:

I was trying to depict the many things that people put there time, money, love, passion and interest in, other than looking to God for their happiness and contentment, myself included. Many of the things in this print are personal passions of mine, and dislikes also. Some people like this print, some don't. I will say this, it is one of my favorites to draw and carve. I tried for so many textures and one homage to a fellow printer in Chicago.

This is the last print to actually include the title so bold in the print, after this I gave up and started to include them in the image itself.

How many passions can you find?

Here is the decorative capital:


I really wish the gold would show up the way it really looks in person, I just feel like it doesn't have the total effect online. Once again, I was trying to be cool by adding a bit of the image into the decorative letter, this time by using a design similar to a dollar bill (even though the face on the print is a for a hundred dollar bill). The illuminated design is one I like, it covers the bottom of the piece entirely, I can usually only get away with that when I do the short Psalm's
(my daughter likes to tease me about how I am going to do Psalm 139, but I will cross that bridge when I get there).
Here is the design:

O.K., here is the final piece:

No comments:

Post a Comment